A Pictorial Blog of Things I Make,
Items I Collect, Architecture I Love,
and Other Stuff



Friday, November 5, 2010

Selections From My Collection of Stuckey's Post Cards

 Stuckey's has been an American roadside institution since 1937. This Stuckey's is in Altamont, Ill.

 The first Stuckey's was a folksy pecan stand operated by Williamson Sylvester Stuckey Sr. (1909-1977) in Eastman, Ga. This Stuckey's is (or rather, was) in Diboll, Texas.

 Starting in the late 1960s a teal pagoda-style roof became Stuckey's trademark design for its newer franchises. Here is an example in Whitakers, N.C.  

 The first Stuckey's franchise opened here in 1947, though this is not the initial structure. From Georgia, Stuckey's radiated to points throughout the South and much of the rest of the country, eventually numbering 350 or so outlets. 

When older facilities were updated, a zigzag roof became the signature shelter for gas pumps, usually Texaco. This is the same Altamont, Ill., Stuckey's as in the top post card, shown with a new teal roof as well.

Nowadays there are about 200 Stuckey's, but this one in Ronks, Pa., is no longer.
For another tribute to a roadside icon, visit: A Salute to the Holiday Inn Sign

5 comments:

  1. My father's motto: don't get stuck at Stuckey's. Fascinating place. Roll, pecan roll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for taking me back in time, David. I grew up going to Stuckey's in Central Texas. I recall being fascinated by the plexiglass-encased beehive or ant farm inside... or maybe I dreamed that. In any case, I would love permission to use one of these images on my site www.vivajoyriot.com. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Feel free to use one of the images, Sarah. Thanks for asking and thanks so much for looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wasn't there a couple of Stuckey's on Interstate 15 going to Vegas here in Southern California

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your Stuckey's postcards. My grandfather started Stuckey's - these are some wonderful images!

    ReplyDelete